Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A Study in Yellows

Yesterday was dye day here at The Merry Spinster. It was a trial day with about 4.5 ounces of pure undyed Merino to test.

The first half was dyed in turmeric and came out a lovely goldenrod color. I'm spinning that today and it's coming out beautifully.


The second half I tried in red cabbage. The dye color was a beautiful blue green. I used salt as the mordant but it didn't set. As gorgeous as it was, the dye didn't take. So I tried a second option, red chard.


This dye color was beautifully red but on the wool it became a lovely butter color. Really soft and pretty.

Once I spun them both and plyed them together I got this lovely yarn I'm calling Hello Sunshine.


I have a bunch of merino coming and can't wait to try a bunch of new dyes and experiment with colors and combinations.

Happy Spinning Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment